Franklin Countians need to know that the danger of Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) is real. Residents of rural Livingston County are in danger of drinking contaminated water if a Brazilian corporation and the Department of Natural Resources have their way.
Things got worse a couple years back because of SB 391, which was supported by all of our Franklin County lawmakers.
Sponsored by Republican Senator Mike Bernskoetter (SD 06), the bill prohibits counties from imposing any regulations that are more strict than what the state requires. Governor Mike Parson signed SB 391 into law in 2019.
And just who decides what the state requires? The Missouri Department of Natural Resources–the same body that’s trying to create an emergency rule to allow this Brazilian-owned company to legally pollute drinking water in Livingston County.
There are approximately 500 CAFOs in Missouri, with four currently operating in Franklin County. In January 2020, all Franklin County Commissioners voted in favor to make it easier for CAFOs to set up shop in Franklin County by adopting an appendix to our Land Use Regulations.
If JBS gets its way and this emergency rule is approved by the DNR, it would open the door to all CAFOs across the state to inch closer and closer to our homes, our parks, and our natural resources. Franklin Countians don’t need to wake up one day, turn on the tap, and find themselves drinking contaminated water.
Please make your voices heard. Reach out to the DNR. Call our elected officials. Submit a Letter to the Editor. Call into the local radio station. Be an active citizen.
- Share this information with others on social media. If Missourians aren’t aware, they can’t make their voices heard.
- Write Letters to the Editor to our local papers:
- Call into Diane Jones’ weekdays morning show on KLPW: (636) 584-8255
- “Off the Cuff” at 6:45 a.m.
- Regular Morning Show from 7:45 to 10:00 a.m.
- Email the DNR: email@example.com
- Call our elected officials and share your opinions with them:
- Governor Mike Parson: (573) 751-3222
- Senator Dave Schatz (SD 26): (573) 751-3678
- Representative Dottie Bailey (HD 110): 573-751-0562
- Representative Aaron Griesheimer (HD 061): 573-751-6668
- Representative John Simmons (HD 109): 573-751-3776
- Representative Nate Tate (HD 119): 573-751-0549
Photo Credit: Bob van Aubel on Unsplash